The gig economy is no longer just a buzzword. In reality, this is shaping the future of the labour market. Previously people used to think that only small companies work with freelancers. But the truth is world-famous companies like Amazon, Google, Apple, and many more also work with freelancers.
Businesses use freelance marketplaces to meet and hire new freelancers. If you are looking for an online business idea, then you can also consider investing in this industry. In this post, we will take you through a complete guide and reveal all such information that would help you to build your own freelance marketplace.
What Is a Freelance Marketplace?
A freelance marketplace is nothing more than an online platform that brings businesses and freelancers under the same roof. Upwork is one of the most popular names in this industry. But they are not the only one that offers services in this sector. If you search carefully, then you will find plenty of other companies that provide services in this sector. The list includes the followings:
- 99designs etc.
If you check all the sites that we have mentioned above, you will find a few common features. In the section below, we will discuss the 8 of them.
All the sites have registration pages on their website. If you are planning to build your site, you have to create two interfaces for the registration page – one for businesses, and the other one is for freelancers.
- All the sites allow freelancers to create a portfolio.
- They arrange skill tests for freelancers and help them to prove their expertise to the employers.
- All the sites have introduced ratings and review systems.
- If you access all the sites carefully, you will understand that all of them offer direct messaging options to their users.
- If you want to build a freelance marketplace, you also have to build highly secured payment gateway.
- On all the marketplaces, you will find an advanced search option where businesses can find freelancers by specific skills or rates. The same parameters also help freelancers to find projects.
- If you are planning to build your own freelance website, you also have to focus on two things, job listing and bidding mechanism. The job listing feature will allow businesses to post jobs. On the other hand, bidding mechanisms will allow freelancers to bid on the projects.
- If you are planning to build your own freelance website, you also have to focus on two things, job listing and bidding mechanism. The job listing feature will allow businesses to post jobs. On the other hand, bidding mechanisms will allow freelancers to bid on the projects
Developing a Freelance Marketplace
In this section, we will discuss a roadmap that you need to follow while creating your own marketplace.
At first, you have to choose a niche. Instead of targeting the entire market, you can consider narrowing down your niche. For example, you can consider developing a dedicated site only for writers, designers, or marketers. 99designs is a renowned freelance marketplace. Businesses access this marketplace only for finding the best designers in the world.
After choosing the niche in the next stage, you have to design the website. While designing the site, you have to focus on two main things. The first thing that you have to ensure is that the site is responsive. In addition to that, you also have to focus on improving the UX of the website.
After designing the layout of the site in the next stage of the journey, you have to focus on its prototyping and development. Many companies offer freelance marketplace script to their clients. You can buy such a script and develop your own marketplace.
At the last stage of the process, you have to test the site. So check it at your own level first. In addition to that, you also need to ask your employees, friends, and family members to check the site and provide their reviews. After going through their reviews if you think that the site needs any change, then make it first, and after that, you are all set to start your business.
It is important for businesses to understand the fact that designing and developing the site is only half of the story. If you want to get started, then you also have to focus on its promotion.
There are several strategies that you can try to promote your business. The first thing that you should do is social media marketing. It will help you to boost your reach. In addition to that, you should also consider investing in the guest blogging. It will help you to create the initial buzz and enable you to let others know about your existence.
You can also consider getting involved in such forums where freelancers hang out on a regular basis. If you stay active on such forums, you will be able to encourage freelancers to join your platform.
You also have to invite businesses to join your website. Email marketing can be a good option for addressing this need. This outbound marketing technique will help you to encourage businesses to join your freelance marketplace.
This is all for now. Hope it will help you to develop your own marketplace.